History of Lowry Adventist College & Group of Institutions
(Established in 1915)
Lowry Adventist College & Group of Institutions is part of the worldwide network of Educational Institutions operated by the Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) Church Organization.
The Organization runs more than 300 Schools and Colleges in India and around 10,000 schools and 150 Colleges and Universities all over the world.
It also runs Hospitals, Old Age Homes, Orphanages and other Welfare centres around the globe and has been serving the society irrespective of caste, creed and religion.
It works in collaboration with UNO, WHO, UNICEF, UNESCO and other world bodies to promote peace, harmony and universal brotherhood.
Bertha and Gentry G. Lowry in 1909
Lowry Adventist College & Group of Institutions began as South India Training School at Coimbatore in 1915. It was established by Elder Gentry G. Lowry and his wife Bertha Lowry, who were Missionaries from the USA. The School moved to the present location in 1917. During the course of time the South India Training School was renamed as Spicer Missionary College. In the year 1942, during World War II, the campus was taken over by the British Government for their military needs. The school was relocated to Kollegal and Chennapatna where it remained until 1946. The college relocated to Spicer Memorial College in Pune, which is now Spicer Adventist University. In the year 1946, the British Government handed over the property back to the School Management. The School was moved for the last time to its present location and it was renamed as Lowry Memorial High School in honour of the founder late Elder Gentry G. Lowry.
Lowry Adventist College & Group of Institutions has the following units:
- Lowry Kids – Nursery, LKG, UKG & Day care
- Lowry Memorial Higher Secondary School – ICSE & ISC (Science & Commerce)
- Lowry Memorial High School – SSLC
- Lowry Memorial PU College – PUC (PCMB, HEBA, CEBA)
- Lowry Adventist College – BCA, BBA, B.Com & M.Com
- Adventist College of Nursing – B.Sc.(N), M.Sc.(N)